Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Superpower

After all these years of wishing and hoping, I finally have a superpower!

Super Smell. 

It may not be the flying or invisibility I thought I wanted, but it is here.

Yesterday, when leaving work, I all of a sudden smelled cigarette smoke. Like someone was sitting in the car, blowing it in my face. So strong.

I looked and looked and looked around, and there, there it was. 5 cars in front of me and one lane over to the right, someone had their window cracked with a little ember glowing.

"Are you kidding me?" actually came out loud out of my mouth. To no one in particular. (Sometimes I talk to myself. It is totally normal.)

This whole pregnancy thing is wacky. I alternate between super smell and a stuffy nose every day. Stuffy nose, apparently another common symptom among preggys.


9 weeks, 5 days along

...and you can call me "The Nose" ...wait, don't. Ever.

2 comments:

  1. My super smell was so bad when I was nauseous. Poor Jim wasn't allowed to make coffee in the house, if he cooked ANYTHING, like even just microwaved something, I had to have him open all the windows and turn on the fans. This went on into November, in Illinois folks. We used Febreeze for awhile, then that bothered me. I couldn't open the fridge. Like literally, I probably opened the fridge maybe 5 times in ten weeks. No joke. He had to get me everything. If he wasn't going to be home at a meal time I had to go get something. And sometimes I would have to sit outside or go somewhere while he cooked or while I ate because I couldn't stand our normal house smells mixing with the food smells while I was eating. I ate Noodles and Co. in my winter coat on my front porch once when the temps were in the 40s, just crying a little. 10 weeks of sickness will do that to you. We went out to eat mostly because A) I didn't have to smell/watch the food being cooked (food visuals where a problem too. I once saw a can of vegetarian chili in our pantry and puked. Sometimes just thinking about canned food made me feel really sick. I also only went to the grocery maybe 1-2 because of this.) B) Throwing up at home (and all over/around my home! oh joy!) had become a common occurrence. Throwing up at restaurants was something I never did, so it was kind of a mental helper. Out of sight, out of mind kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also forgot to add that I've had the stuffy nose problem too, and my midwife suggested getting a humidifier for the bedroom since I'm especially congested when I wake up in the morning. It has helped with that, and the gross chapped lips feeling that comes with not being able to breath well through your nose at night.

    ReplyDelete